Illinois Street Residence Halls / ISR
On March 12, 1959, the Board of Trustees authorized the purchase of the property at 1003 West Green Street in Urbana, for a price of $40,000, with $10,000 to be paid: 
on or before March 31, 1959, provided title is shown to be good and merchantable [with] the balance of $30,000 to be paid upon possession by the University, not later than July 15, 1959; taxes for 1959 to be pro-rated as of the date of possession; and the seller to be permitted to remove the garage, fence, and the stair carpeting from the property
The property was the final piece needed for the construction of a new set of residence halls and consisted of: 
A lot with a frontage of 63.4 feet on Green Street and 220 feet deep, and a frame residence consisting of a five-room apartment occupied by the owners and rooms for sixteen women students
The property was added to 1000 West Illinois Street (Mr. And Mrs. Walter C. Nogle) purchased for $37,000, 1002 West Illinois Street (Mr. And Mrs. Ivan Stearns) for $33,000, 1006 West Illinois Street (Mrs. Flossie M. Hocking) for $23,500, 1008 West Illinois Street (Mr. And Mrs. Walter C. Nogle) for $33,500, 1010 West Illinois Street (Miss Elizabeth I. Keener) for $25,700, 1102 West Illinois Street (Miss Ruth Linton) for $32,000, and 1104 West Illinois and 1101 and 1013 West Green Street, along with "Tract 4 (land adjoining the three parcels" from Mr. And Mrs. F. W. Thompson for $39,00, $32,500, $39,000, and $22,000, respectively. Finally, 1011 West Green Street was purchased from Mrs. Marie L. Wuellner for $32,500. 
The construction of the Illinois Street Residence Halls signaled the recognition by campus of the need for greater student dormitory housing.  Designed by Richardson, Severns, Scheeler and Associates in 1964,  these dorms are a favorite among engineering students and are one of the few undergraduate dorms with central air-conditioning.
The $6.7M complex   features two dormitories: a 5-story building that houses 640 men and a 12-story building that houses 560 women  and was the first high-rise dormitory on campus . A lounge and a food service building connected the two buildings.  There was also a "multipurpose building which serves almost any extracurricular need a student might have" and "even freshman rhetoric [was] taught on the premises". For those of scholarly incline, "an impressive reference library done in walnut and black leather furniture invites academic pursuits".  A grand piano adorned the main lounge and bridge tables were to be found throughout. The complex had "more multi-purpose rooms than any previously built residence halls movable partitions add to the functionalism". In addition, "a large, yet uncompleted recreation room in the basement of the food service building divides up into meeting rooms". The building was also the first UI dorm to have a skylight in its dining hall, which also featured "family-style" dining, with 6 students to a table. 
In keeping with campus customs of the time, the building director for Wardell was known as its Head Resident. It was her job to ensure that the hall felt like a home away from home for its residents. 
The complex was largely completed in July 1964   and before opening for occupancy in September, the women's building was renamed as Ruth Aimee Wardall Hall, while the men's building became Edgar Townsend Hall.  Ruth Wardall was the head of the Department of Home Economics from 1921 to 1936, while Edgar Townsend was the head of the Department of Math from 1905 to 1929 and dean of the College of Science for 8 years.