William Lamont Abbott Power Plant
The University Power Plant entered service in September 1, 1940 with one boiler and a 3,000 KW turbine. The second unit was to quickly follow into service on October 15, at which time the University's contact with Illinois Iowa Power Company was to be terminated. 
The new facility replaced the aged University Power House, which had served its purpose as power facility and research building in North Campus.  Although originally a coal plant, Abbott has undergone numerous upgrades over the years, expanding its fuel choices to natural gas and fuel oil. 
In 1942, the University Betatron was installed in Abbott Power Plant and research on it continued there until it moved to the newly-opened Physics Research Laboratory in 1947. 
By 1968, the University was investigating the "installation of electrostatic precipitators to supplement the cyclone dust collectors [then] installed in the plant" as a way to complex with a newly-passed air pollution law. 
The Plant's namesake is William Lamont Abbott, an 1884 graduate of the UI, recognized by the Washington Award Commission as "the dean of the electric light and power industry". His service as a member of the Board of Trustees from 1904 to 1922 is noted on the building's dedication plaque.  The building was designed by University Architect Ernest L. Stouffer, with Sargent & Lundy as the primary engineers, C. F. M. Rkland [sic]  as the mechanical engineer, and W. E. O'Neil Construction Co. as the general contractor.  Seven turbines generate a peak of 30 megawatts, providing both power and heating steam for the University. 
In the late 1950's, a $1,855,000 addition was added to Abbott.  In the early 2000's, the University began a $60M project to upgrade Abbott.