Vivarium / Experimental Zoology Laboratory
Designed by James White,  the Vivarium began life in 1916  as a 14,600 square foot  research laboratory, built at a cost of $76,244.25.  The complex consisted of a main two-story building, with two attached greenhouses, connected to a one-story building immediately north of it via a continuation of the first floor hallway. The main building contained storage facilities, a single office, and eight research laboratories. The northern building had twin greenhouses and twin screened houses connected to it,  and the eastern section of the property, from the northern face of the main building to the northern face of the secondary building, was enclosed in a wrought-iron fence. The departments of zoology and entomology were the primary occupants of the complex. 
In 1933 the building's name was changed to the Experimental Zoology Laboratory,  but by 1948 its name had reverted back to the Vivarium again.  The building still stands in its original condition today, with the exception of the southeast greenhouse, which has been damaged beyond repair. 
In the spring of 1974 the building was encased in scaffolding for a $50,000 reroofing job.