Laboratory of Physics / Mining and Metallurgy
Groundbreaking for the original Laboratory of Physics occurred in August of 1908 and the building was dedicated November 26, 1909.  The 89,700 square foot building was built and equipped for a cost of $250,000.  The State Legislature had approved funding for the building in May of 1907, and placed the State Architect, W. Carbys Zimmerman, in charge of its design, and  V. Jobst & Sons in chart of construction. 
The 3-story building, constructed of brick and Bedford limestone,  was 178 feet long and 125 feet deep, with a cement basement, finished attic, and a 179x28 foot 1-story annex housing the shop and fan rooms.  The building was functionally split in half, with the instructional facilities and a 262-person lecture hall in the west wing, while the east wing housed 30 small laboratories for "advanced experimental work". Similar to other campus engineering buildings, "gas, distilled water, compressed air and vacuum, and direct and alternating electric currents of a wide range of amperes and in volts" were available throughout the facility. The third floor of the building was partially occupied by the campus "blue print and photographic laboratory". 
After the Physics Department moved to their new home in the late 1950's, the building became the home of the mining and metallurgy departments, which led it to later be renamed the Mining and Metallurgy building.