Throughout the University's history, four buildings have held the title of President's House. The first was designed by S. S. Beman  and finished in 1896 for a cost of $15,000.  Located where the modern Everitt is,  its proximity to the North Greenhouse led to its alternative name as the President's Greenhouse. In 1917, when the new President's house was purchased, it became the Health Service center. 
It was followed by a house at 1103 West Nevada Street in Urbana which was purchased in 1917  for $17,152.25.  Adorned with an "old fashioned trellis-walled garden", the ten-room, two-story stucco house was built in the "modern English style". 
In 1930 construction was underway for the third house. Designed by Charles Platt and James White, the residence cost $150,000 fully furnished. 
Today the President's House is located on Florida Avenue. Despite its grand appearance, the new house has been plagued with lawn problems. For more than a decade, the "front lawn of campus" has been infested with a soil-born parasite that continues to kill off the grass every two years. In 1996, the lawn was resoded and a $90,000 underground sprinkler system installed, to no avail, leaving the University no choice but to continue resodding it every few years.