Institute of Government and Public Affairs / IGPA and Samuel K. Gove Plaza
The Institute of Government and Public Affairs was established in 1947 to establish "a curriculum in government which would give its students the opportunity to major in the study of public service and home and abroad and thereby supply persons trained to seek and serve in local, state and national elective offices, and in all branches of our foreign service." 
By 1975 they were located in a building at 1201 West Nevada Street.  The new IGPA building at 1007 West Nevada Street  was dedicated in the early 1990's  and the Samuel K. Gove Plaza, which runs in front of the building, was dedicated on September 11, 1992, in honor of his establishment of the University's legislative intern program in the 1960's. 
Former Governor Jim Edgar became a distinguished fellow of the Institute on January 12, 1999.