Mechanical Engineering Shop Laboratory / Wood Shop and Foundry Laboratory
Built in the Renaissance Revival style, the Mechanical Engineering Shop Laboratory opened in 1901 with a total of 35,624 square feet of space.  Designed by Nelson Strong Spencer and built by Kelly & O'Brien and Field Schowe & Co,  the building cost $42,000 to construct. In 1904 S. J. Temple and James M. White collaborated on the $10,700 foundry addition. 
The second floor of the building contained workshop and storage space used for general University maintenance, while the first floor housed a 100-person lecture hall, a lathe room, and a machine room. One engineering professor of the day described the building as: 
built of red brick, with sandstone trimmings, and a slate roof; and is a neat and pleasing architectural design The equipment of this shop is first-class The freshman class of the College of Engineering is given instruction in these shops, and ample accommodation for 400 students can be provided. 
In 1992, the building was razed to make way for the new Grainger Library.