Tina Weedon Smith Memorial Building / Smith Hall
The cornerstone of the Tina Weedon Smith Memorial Building was laid November 9, 1917. The stone itself was laid by Captain Thomas J. Smith, who had funded the $215,000 building in honor of his wife.  Designed in the Beaux Arts style by James McLaren White  and George E. Wright,  the three-story building was 126 feet long by 163 feet wide, with a full basement and attic.  A massive performance hall seated 650 on the house floor and 450 in the upper balcony. The acoustics of the hall were very precisely controlled, with a "period of reverberation of 1.75 seconds" when the hall was filled to capacity and "provision[s] for reducing the period of reverberation when there is no audience".  Practice rooms were abundant, with 7 studios and 2 classrooms on the first floor and 11 studios, 49 practice rooms, and a 200-person lecture hall on the second floor. The third floor housed an additional 47 practice rooms. 
Smith Hall has the distinction of being the first building on campus to be wholly funded by private donations, paving the way for later buildings such as the Beckman Institute.  It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1996. 
Almost from the beginning, campus planners were envisioning extending the structure via almost 30% to the west, and the proposed modifications appeared on campus maps through 1930, but those plans were never realized and the following year, in 1931, campus maps dropped the proposed changes.