The Soil Bins, located "a few rods east of the Dairy Manufactures Building",  were built in 1916 for $9,941.22.  The concrete bins measuring 6 and 8 feet deep had perforated bottoms overlying an underground tunnel system. Bins in this tunnel collected rainwater after it passed through the soil bins, enabling detailed measurements of soil leaching under different conditions. 
The bins were part of the Agricultural Plots which ran along Pennsylvania Avenue. They were located on the south-west end, along Pennsylvania Avenue, almost exactly halfway between the Stock Pavilion and Lincoln Avenue, approximately where the south-east corner of the modern gravel parking lot in that area is.