Work had begun on the Transportation Building in 1912,  but the University's inability to purchase the land needed to construct its north section led the building to be dedicated on May 9, 1913  only partially complete.  This original portion of the building was designed by W. Zimmerman and built by V. Jobst & Sons  for a cost $78,000.  It measured 65 by 189 feet and totaled 34,225 square feet. The Railway and Mining Engineering Departments occupied the first and second floors, while the "department of general engineering drawing" occupied the third.  In 1923, when the north section of the building was finally completed by James White,  the building totaled 44,500 square feet and cost $169,000.