Mechanical Engineering Building????????scroll>
Ground was broken on the Mechanical Engineering Building in 1947  and the facility opened its doors on May 12th and 13th, 1950 to host the Midwestern Conference on Fluid Dynamics and Meeting of the American Physical Society Fluid Dynamics Division.  The new building featured "113 rooms for department use, including 16 laboratories, 32 rooms for classes, 46 offices, and 19 miscellaneous special rooms. Of the laboratory rooms, there are four large and 12 smaller laboratories, all providing complete facilities for today's student."  It was designed by Fugard, Burt, & Wilkinson in conjunction with University Architect Ernest L. Stouffer, with James McHugh Sons, Inc handling the general contracting. 
The South entrance of the building features twin murals painted by Eric Bransby, former Professor Emeritus in the Department of Art and Design. The murals were funded by the O. A. Leutwiler Fund, which honors the former head of the Mechanical Engineering Department. Started in the summer of 1951 and finished by the summer of 1953, the murals "used the ancient fresco method of painting on fresh plaster, but sometimes built out layers or cut them back to a colored mortar base under the plaster to give an effect of sculpturing relief". 
An inner courtyard in the building provides a surprisingly delightful place to study on a sunny afternoon. It was landscaped through gifts of Mechanical Engineering alumni.