Dedicated on November 15, 1894 , Engineering Hall was designed by George Bullard, a student of Nathan Ricker. The 63,800 square foot building  cost $162,278.40 to construct  and featured an interior richly appointed with oak and a ceiling paneled in Washington fir.  The graduating class of 1894 inscribed their class numerals in a stone tablet by the Green Street entrance as a class memorial. 
The 4-story building was 200 feet long and 138 feet deep, with twin 76-foot wings. It was the first University building constructed solely for the use of a single college. 
In 1916 a $1,737.40 renovation was undertaken.  By the early 1960's, the building had become the home of Civil Engineering.  In Fall 1998, work began on an $8M renovation,  designed to restore the building to its original stature. On June 12, 1998, the relocation of staff and furnishings from the building were complete and on August 1, 1998,  work formally began and the renovation was completed in 2000. 
As an interesting historical note, it is actually the completion of Engineering Hall which led the University to formally adopt orange and blue as its official colors. With its dedication just around the corner, President Draper wanted to settle the issue of University colors once-and-for-all and so at the convocation on October 24, 1894, he asked that "all who are in favor of accepting orange and navy blue as the colors of the University of Illinois will please arise [sic]". It was unanimous and orange and navy blue became the official colors of the University of Illinois.