Caption: Board of Trustees Minutes - 1896
This is a reduced-resolution page image for fast online browsing.
EXTRACTED TEXT FROM PAGE:
BIOLOGICAL EXPERIMENT STATION.
The laboratory boat was amply stocked with compound and dissecting microscopes, and a supply of chemicals, glassware, and apparatus for [the preservation of specimens and for microscopical technology. It was equipped for fifteen workers in addition to the Station staff. The excellent working library of the State Laboratory of Natural History was freely drawn upon for everything needed in aid of the special work in progress at the time y and the library appropriation of the Laboratory was also used as necessary to supply desiderata. This aquatic establishment was found in all respects so satisfactory and convenient, that rented rooms in the town, similarly furnished, were presently abandoned by the entire party, all preferring to work upon the boat.
ORGANIZATION AND STAFF.
The staff of the Biological Station is composed of the Director and certain Assistants of the State Laboratory of Natural History, all of whom are appointed by the Trustees of the University of Illinois, and all except the Director upon his nomination. This officer is responsible for the organization r equipment, and general and financial administration of the Station, for the plan and objects of its operations, for the establishment and assignment of departments, for the main features of the papers and reports, and for the editorial supervision of the Station publications. The Superintendent, who is appointed as such officer, although borne upon the list of the assistants of the State Laboratory, has immediate charge of the Station force, and is responsible to the Director for the execution of its plan of operations. He is allowed a large latitude with regard to details, and, in the absence of the Director, all the workers at the Station are under his immediate orders. From the establishment of the Station in April, 1894, until June 30, 1895r Mr. Frank Smith, at first Instructor and later Assistant Professor in the University department of zoology, served as Superintendent, devoting his time continuously to Station work until January 1, 1895. He had special personal charge of the quantitative collections—the so-called plankton work—during this period. He also began during the summer of 1894, a systematic study of the oligochsete worms of the Station and its vicinity, which he has continued to the present time, giving to this subject his vacations, entire, and such time as is left him after the performance of his duties in his University department. He was assisted in his work from May to September, 1894, inclusive, by Mrs. Dora Smith, who served the Station as its microscopical technologist during that period. Begining with July 1,1895, the Station has been in charge of Dr. C. A. Kofoid, as Superintendent, with the planktology of the situation as his special department. He also acted as superintendent of construction during the building of the laboratory boat. His entire time has been given to the Station work, except for the teaching of one University class for one term, undertaken as an exchange of services with the zoological department. The entomological work has been, since the commencement, in charge of Mr. C. A, Hart, Systematic Entomologist of the State Laboratory, assisted