Caption: Board of Trustees Minutes - 1896
This is a reduced-resolution page image for fast online browsing.
EXTRACTED TEXT FROM PAGE:
UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS.
for two of the summer months of 1895 by Mr. Ernest B. Forbes. Mr. Hart's share in the regular routine of Station operations has been the making of the inshore and longshore collections at the various substations. In addition to his studies of the habits and life histories of aquatic insects, he has listed the Mollusca of the collections from the beginning. From September 8, 1894, to July 1, 1895, he was the sole continuous occupant of the Station, being responsible during that period for the regular field work, carried on with the assistance of visiting parties from the State Laboratory at Urbana. Mr. Adolph Hempel was engaged without interruption upon a study of the Protozoa and Rotifera of the Station from its opening to June 1, 1896. At this time the condition of his eyes forbade further use of the microscope, and he was placed in charge of the Station launch as its licensed engineer. He occupied the Station alone during the winter of 1895-96, keeping up, with such assistance as it was necessary to engage from time to time, the regular routine of collections and observations at the various substations. Miss Lydia M. Hart, Artist of the State Laboratory, has devoted a large part of her time to drawings in illustration of the various papers prepared by the Station force. She was at Havana during about a month of 1895, the remainder of her work in this direction having been done at the State Laboratory. Mr. Ernest B. Forbes has served during the vacation period of three seasons, the first as a general zoological assistant, the second as an assistant in the entomological field work, and the third in making a special study of the Cyclopidae of the Station collections. Periodical chemical analyses of various waters collected at the Station have been made, from the first opening, under the direction of Professor A. W. Palmer, of the chemical department of the University of Illinois. Mr. C. F . Hottes, Botanical Assistant in the University, made several trips to the Station with Superintendent Smith during his regular visits in the winter of 1894-95, and both he and Professor T. J. Burrill, of the University department of •botany, have made occasional collections of aquatic plants. Mr. Miles Newberry, an experienced fisherman of Havana, has served the Station very efficiently from the beginning as a general assistant. He has been particularly serviceable as an aid in planktou work, and has had immediate charge of the boat and of the aquatic equipment generally.
GENERAL EXHIBIT OF RESULTS.
Although the first report of results accomplished in a field so extensive and complicated as that occupied by our Biological Station must necessarily be largely an exhibit of work in progress, it seems possible to make a statement which shall give a comprehensive, if somewhat indefinite, idea of the outcome of operations thus far undertaken. This report may be made most conveniently under the heads of plankton operations, collections accumulated, ento-