Caption: Course Catalog - 1876-1877
This is a reduced-resolution page image for fast online browsing.
EXTRACTED TEXT FROM PAGE:
CIVIL ENGINEERING COUESE. FIRST YEAK.
1. Same as in Mechanical Engineering.
1. Advanced Algebra and Analytical Geometry ; Land Surveying ; German. 2. Advanced Calculus ; Drawing ; German. 3. Advanced Calculus and Spherical Trigonometry; Topographical Surveying ; German.
1. Advanced Descriptive Geometry; Chemistry and Laboratory Practice ; Railroad Surveying. 2. Analytical Mechanics ; Chemistry and Laboratory Practice ; Physics ; Weekly Exercises in Practical Astronomy. 3. Analytical Mechanics ; Astronomy; Physics ; Weekly Exercises in Practical Astronomy.
1. Resistance of Materials and Hydraulics ; Geology ; Geodesy. 2. Bridges ; Constitutional History ; Meteorology and Physical Geography. 3. Stone work ; Physical Laboratory and Thesis ; Political Economy.
SCHOOL OF MINING ENGINEERING
OBJECT AND INSTRUCTION.
This School is intended to qualify the student for undertaking mining operations of all kinds. Its instruction consists of a thorough training in the principles of theoretical and applied chemistry, of chemical and blow-pipe analysis, of assaying and metallurgy, and of the engineering operations of mining.
STUDIES AND APPARATUS.
The course of studies embraces both the engineering and metallurgical studies, with practical exercises in analysis and assaying. A large collection of models from a celebrated European manufactory, and costing over $2,000, has been provided for this school. The geological and mineralogical cabinets are well provided with specimens of minerals, ores, and rocks. In the plans of the new chemical laboratory provision is made for metallurgical and assaying laboratories, with stamp mill, furnaces, and other apparatuses required for practical instruction in this department.
COURSE IN MINING ENGINEERING. FIRST YEAR.
1. Plane Trigonometry and Advanced Geometry ; Projection Drawing ; French. 2. Analytical Geometry ; Descriptive Geometry and Drawing ; French. 3. Calculus ; Clay Modeling and Lettering ; French.