Early Scholarship Exam
The following, known as the "Competitive Examination for Prize and Honorary Scholarships in Illinois Industrial University / also of other candidates for admission" was a scholarship exam dating from 1867 for those interested in the University. How would you fare on this exam? 
- No person except an examiner is allowed to see the questions before the examination begins.
- No assistance of any kind is to be rendered candidates, except in explanation of the meaning of a question, in case of doubt.
- Only the papers of those who intend, if successful, to enter the University, should be forwarded to the Regent. Explain particularly that a failure to obtain a Scholarship need not prevent any one [sic] qualified from entering the University.
- The questions being on one sheet are to be separated and given to the students in the order of their numbering.
- Candidates should answer correctly 70 per cent. of the questions.
M. N. GREGORY, Regent
- Define Orthography.
- How many sounds in the English Language, and how many letters used to express those sounds?
- What is a syllable?
- Give us an example of a primitive and also of a derivative word.
- In the following sentences capitalize correctly, and give the rules: new york is the Largest of all american Cities and I heard, but I Understood not
- Spell the present participle of the verb To beg, and give the rule for the spelling.
- Spell the plural of Fly, and give the rule.
- Spell and capitalize correctly the following: a man named john right appeared in vue and was scene buy sevral nabors he bore in his rite hand a peace of potery and a pain of glass to which he had no write.
- Decline [sic] the pronouns He, Who, I.
- Compare the adjectives Bad, Able, Much, Benevolent, Good.
- Give the Synopsis of the verb Be through the indicative mood with the pronoun She.
- Write sentences containing That used as an adjective, a conjunction, and a relative.
- Define a sentence.
- What are the essential elements of a sentence?
- Define a simple, a complex, and a compound sentence.
- Parse the italicized words in the following sentence, and give reasons for each step:
Breathes there a man with soul so dead,
Who never to himself hath said,
This is my own, my native land?
- I refunded him the money. Change this to the passive construction.
- Correct the following sentences when needed and give the reasons.
- Which do you like best, bread or fruit?
- It was him who I saw.
- Turn your toes out, like I do.
- He is an uneasy person ; he cannot lay still or set still a moment.
- The wisdom and justness of his decisions is now apparent.
- What does Mathematical Geography embrace?
- Name the States bordering upon the Gulf of Mexico, with their Capitals.
- Name the mountain ranges of North America, with their respective directions.
- Through what waters, and in what direction would a traveler pass in going by water from Pittsburg, Pa., toConstantinople?
- Name and describe three of the largest Rivers of Europe.
- Commencing at the mouth of the Mississippi, trace it to its sources, naming the States on each bank, and the principle cities as you pass them.
- In what direction and through what waters will a vessel sail from New York for a cargo of tea?
- Is the climate of England warmer or colder than the climate of the same latitude on this Continent? Why?
- Define Longitude _______
HISTORY OF UNITED STATES.
- Give a brief account of the first settlement of Massachusetts.
- What general war preceded the Revolution?
- What reason led France to assist us in our revolution, and what aid did she afford?
- Give an account of the most noted battles fought in the State of New York during the Revolutionary War.
- Under what form of government was the country after the Revolution?
- In whose administration did the war of 1812 occur? Name two important land, and two important naval battles of this war.
- What were our alleged reasons for the war with Mexico, and how, in consequence of this war, did Californiabecome a part of the United States?
- What is meant by the Missouri Compromise?
- What was the first battle of the war of the Rebellion?
- What reasons were alleged by the South in justification of the rebellion?
- Define the expression, numeration, notation, unit of a number, abstract number, concrete number. [sic]
- Give the leading principles of addition, substraction, [sic] Multiplication and Division.
- Define the expressions, common multiple, least common multiples, common divisor, greatest common divisor.
- What is a fraction, the unit of a fraction, a fractional unit?
- What was the leading principles of fractions?
- What is a decimal fraction?
- Give the value, with work, of the expression, ([(1/8 / 2) + 1/2)] x 5/7) / 125
- Give the interest, with work, of $75 for 16 months at 7 per cent.
- What is the square root of 125 69, with work.
- What is the cube root of 1729.10, with work.
- What do you understand by the term Quantity in Algebra.
- Give the names the symbols used in Algebra.
- Define Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication and Dvision in Algebra.
- Show that ao is equal to 1.
- Reduce a/b, e/d, c/f, h/g, to equivalent fractions having a common denominator.
- What is an equation, and what operation can you perform upon one without destroying it?
- Find the value of x in the equation x/3 + f cx = hdx
- What is the true value of (a2 b2) / (a-b) when a is equal to b.
- Demonstrate a rule for the extraction of the square root of numbers.
- Demonstrate rule [sic] for the extraction of the cube root of numbers.
Welcome to the ...
About The UIHis...
Gifts & Memoria...
Other UI Histor...
Class Tree Wars
Residence Hall ...
TwinCity Bible ...