|UIHistories Project: A History of the University of Illinois by Kalev Leetaru|
| || U I H I S T O R I E S P R O J E C T|
Today in the History of the University of IllinoisWelcome to the new "Today in the History of the University of Illinois" feature! This is an extremely experimental project to build a database of major events in the University's history, currently totaling more than 500,000. The current database below was compiled using software programs that identified all dates in the pages on this site and in its more than 70,000 pages of digitized historical material. Since all dates were 100% automatically identified, there may be errors, and many date references may refer to routine events. This is a work in progress, please contact University Archives with comments, questions, recommendations, etc. A total of 8 events are recorded for today.
Pick another date:
Submit an Event
Know of a major event that is not listed here? Please email University Archives with more details about the date and details of the event!
Matches from large statistical sources like the Board of Trustees Proceedings can generate thousands of results. These are currently hidden, but you can also view all matches.
- 1946: ftn7 7 On September 24, 1946, the Commerce Building was renamed David Kinley Hall ftn8 8 in honor of David Kinley's service to the University and especially to the College of Commerce. He was largely responsible for the foundati... (Commerce)
- 1999: ...elevision". ftn6 6 On July 8, 1996, ground breaking for the Campbell Hall for Public Telecommunication took place, and one day shy of 39 years after purchasing the Sunbeam plant, on September 24, 1999, ftn7 7 the new 40,966 square foot ftn8 8 facility was dedicated, marking the first time in nearly 80 years that all of the station's operations had been consolidated into a single building. ftn9 9 T... (Campbell Hall for Public Telecommunication and Richmond Journalism Teaching Studio and Swanson Center)
Digital Library Matches
- 1864: ...cConnell, and B. G. Roots "Prairie Farmer, September 10, October 8, 1864. C. E. Griggs of Urbana wag one of those appointed later by the governor on his commission. "Prairie Farmer, September 24, 1864. ,Illinois Considers Disposition of Donation 189 to frame a bill and urge its passage by the next legislature,20 So much interest was manifest in the subject that three special meetings were held dur... (Book - History of the University (Powell))
- 1904: Sept. 24 Chemistry Department reorganized (Book - Early History of University (1916))
- 1943: 7, Saturday Sept. 24, Friday Oct. 2, Saturday 1943 .Entrance examinations .Freshman week program Registration of graduates and undergraduates Instruction begins Independence Day no classes July 5 Examinations in eight-week co... (Booklet - Handbook of Student Housing (1943))
- 1946: On September 24, 1946, the Board of Trustees voted to rename it in honor of Dr. Kinley. ,UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS DEDICATION of DAVID KINLEY HALL Formerly Commerce Building Saturday Morning, October 19, 1946 9:30 o'clock In... (Dedication - David Kinley Hall (DKH))
- 1984: ...rized the university to initiate the project. Over the summer arrangements were made to issue bonds and preliminary and final construction plans were prepared. Bids were received on September 24, 1984, and construction began in November 1984. Project completion occurred in October 1985. The next major athletic and recreation related facility that was constructed was th Shower Locker Concession Bui... (UIS History 1969-1995 (Sangamon State Univ))
- 1999: , Friday, September 24, 1999 Goodwin Avenue between Clark and Main streets in Urbana On the occasion of the 64th Annual Meeting of the University of Illinois Foundation Rec Self-Guided D ,DEDICATION program KIM B. ROTZOLL Dean C... (Dedication - Campbell Hall WILL)