|UIHistories Project: A History of the University of Illinois by Kalev Leetaru|
| || U I H I S T O R I E S P R O J E C T|
Today in the History of the University of IllinoisWelcome to the new "Today in the History of the University of Illinois" feature! This is an extremely experimental project to build a database of major events in the University's history, currently totaling more than 500,000. The current database below was compiled using software programs that identified all dates in the pages on this site and in its more than 70,000 pages of digitized historical material. Since all dates were 100% automatically identified, there may be errors, and many date references may refer to routine events. This is a work in progress, please contact University Archives with comments, questions, recommendations, etc. A total of 13 events are recorded for today.
Pick another date:
Submit an Event
Know of a major event that is not listed here? Please email University Archives with more details about the date and details of the event!
Matches from large statistical sources like the Board of Trustees Proceedings can generate thousands of results. These are currently hidden, but you can also view all matches.
Digital Library Matches
- 1834: March 19, Monday. Term ends (Course Catalog - 1892-1893)
- 1856: Mar. 19,1856, p. 692. By Mr. E. B. Washburne: The petition of citizens of the State of Illinois, praying for a grant of land for an industrial university. PETITIONS TO CONGRESS Senate Journal, 1st Sess. 33d Congr... (Book - History of the University (Powell))
- 1856: ... from Illinois were presented to congress in behalf of industrial universities in each of the states: one was presented on March 10 from the state educational convention and the other on March 19 from citizens of the state of Illinois. The introduction of the land grant bill on December 14,1857, was the great impetus for the sending in of petitions: from January 1 to the middle of May, 1858, they ... (Book - History of the University (Powell))
- 1869: ...ugh the efforts of these men that in March, 1869, the legislature passed condemnatory resolutions in regard to the industrial university. These resolutions were introduced in the house, March 19, 1869, by Mr. Parker of the 39th district, and were passed by a vote of 49 to 12. They were as follows: 4 Whereas complaints are made in every quarter of the state that the Illinois Industrial University, ... (Book - History of the University (Powell))
- 1878: March 19 (Course Catalog - 1876-1877)
- 1883: Mar. 19 Young Women's Christian Association organized. 1884-5 Dec. Board of Trustees requested Legislature to change the name of the institution. Board resolved to provide apartments for the State Laboratory of N... (Book - Early History of University (1916))
- 1910: " March 19 The presidents of the universities in the " B i g E i g h t " conference met in Chicago to discuss conference rules (Book - Early History of University (1916))
- 1912: ...th campus. Study of building groups for the area and a harmonizing of all interests involved in the new development occupied the attention of the commission and the administration until March 19, 1912, when general agreements on the chief points permitted the report of the campus plan commission to be submitted to the Board of Trustees. This report fixed at once the location of a new Stock Judging... (Book - 30 Year Master Plan (Tilton & O'Donnell))
- 1914: March 19 Annual Pan-Hellenic Smoker (Book - Early History of University (1916))
- 1916: March 19 Dr. Paul W. Harrison, Student Volunteer worker and missionary, addressed all-University service (Book - Early History of University (1916))
- 1937: ...held an Illinois breakfast at Shreveport, Louisiana, on April 24th: Metella Williams, Alice Alben, Lois Shortess, Lora Baker, W. E. Carrothers, Charles Flack, R. W. McComb. MINNESOTA On March 19, 1937, at a dinner meeting at Minnesota University, was held the 50th anniversary celebration of the establishment of the first library school t Columbia University. , A . . . The program consisted of a cl... (UI Library School Alumni Newsletter - 24)
- 1937: ...R. Banister has been appointed district librarian in charge of Region 6 of the Illinois Library Service Demonstration Program. George B. Brown, M.A.'40, received a temporary promotion on March 19 to the rank of major. He is with the Personnel Branch Military Intelligence Service in the Pentagon, Washington, D.C. Irene Ford, M.S 46, resigned her position in the Catalog Department of the University ... (UI Library School Alumni Newsletter - 38)
- 1945: Germany, March 19, 1945 CLIFFORD FLOYD ALTHOFF '45 ingham n, Ian I H ... (Book - Gold Star Illini (UIUC War Veterans))