|UIHistories Project: A History of the University of Illinois by Kalev Leetaru|
| || U I H I S T O R I E S P R O J E C T|
Today in the History of the University of IllinoisWelcome to the new "Today in the History of the University of Illinois" feature! This is an extremely experimental project to build a database of major events in the University's history, currently totaling more than 500,000. The current database below was compiled using software programs that identified all dates in the pages on this site and in its more than 70,000 pages of digitized historical material. Since all dates were 100% automatically identified, there may be errors, and many date references may refer to routine events. This is a work in progress, please contact University Archives with comments, questions, recommendations, etc. A total of 11 events are recorded for today.
Pick another date:
Submit an Event
Know of a major event that is not listed here? Please email University Archives with more details about the date and details of the event!
Matches from large statistical sources like the Board of Trustees Proceedings can generate thousands of results. These are currently hidden, but you can also view all matches.
Digital Library Matches
- 1854: On February 27 Bronson Murray addressed a letter to the governor urging Turner's appointment. Turner wrote his friends that he did not want the office but he would be guided by their desires. Many petitions in behalf of... (Book - History of the University (Powell))
- 1858: ...d. JOSIAH H. DRUMMOND, Speaker I N SENATE, February 24, 1858 Read and passed. SETH SCAMMAN, President Approved February 26,1858. LOT M. MORRILL. OFFICE OF SECRETARY OF STATE, Augusta, February 27,1858. I hereby certify that the foregoing is a true copy of the original deposited in this office. NOAH SMITH, Jr. Secretary of State. ,454 35TH History University of Illinois CONGRESS, 1st Session. J MIS... (Book - History of the University (Powell))
- 1867: On February 27, 1867, an act was approved providing for an Attorney General to be elected in 1868. This act made it his duty to give legal advice to the "governor and other executive of1 ficers of the State and "to insti... (Booklet - UI Charter of Freedom (1942))
- 1867: ... an irreconcilable inconsistency between its terms and existing statutes Schedule I, Sec. 11, repealed the clear implication of Section 1 of the act creating the University, approved February 27, 1867. which gave the Board of Trustees of the University the power to sue and made it subject to suit. It has become hornbook law in Illinois that repeals by implication are in disfavor. People v. Renter,... (Booklet - UI Charter of Freedom (1942))
- 1897: Feb. 27 President James, for the University Senate, appointed a committee to consider the question of the present organization of the University from the standpoint of efficiency, and to summarize the results of ... (Book - Early History of University (1916))
- 1901: Feb. 27 Organization of John Marshall Debating Club by Law students (Book - Early History of University (1916))
- 1912: February 27 Phi Beta Kappa elections announced (Book - Early History of University (1916))
- 1916: February 27 First meeting of Sunday Evening Club, for religious study (Book - Early History of University (1916))
- 1918: ...utof-town visitors and give the student an opportunity to meet and hear prominent practicing engineers in almost every field of engineering. T h e Twenty-third Highway Conference was held Feb. 27 and 28 in cooperation with the State High- lature. The building will be a two-story addition to the Mining Laboratory and ready for occupancy next September. Professor Jakob Kunz of the Department of Phys... (UI Foundation Series - Bulletin 2 (1936))
- 1930: ...e, and the name of the President elected to serve the following year: Middletown, Ohio, March 13-16, 1930 EDWIN FRANKO GOLDMAN ASSOCIATION University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin, February 27March 2, 1941 HENRY FILLMORE Elkhart, Indiana, June 13-15, 1947 GLENN CLIFFE BAINUM Sioux Falls, South Dakota, March 18-21, 1948 HOWARD C BRONSON Charlotte, North Carolina, March 17-18, 1949 JOHN J. RICHAR... (Dedication - Band Building - Band Master's Association)
- 1941: ...sistant in the Public Library, Los Angeles, California. Her home address is 524 S. Catalina Street, Los Angeles, California. James R. Crulledge, 1919-20, M.S 32, died of appendicitis February 27, 1941 in Greenville, North Carolina. From 1930 to 1935, Mr. Gulledge was a member of the Loan Department at the University of Illinois Library, and from that time until his death was librarian of the East ... (UI Library School Alumni Newsletter - 29)