|UIHistories Project: A History of the University of Illinois by Kalev Leetaru|
| || U I H I S T O R I E S P R O J E C T|
Today in the History of the University of IllinoisWelcome to the new "Today in the History of the University of Illinois" feature! This is an extremely experimental project to build a database of major events in the University's history, currently totaling more than 500,000. The current database below was compiled using software programs that identified all dates in the pages on this site and in its more than 70,000 pages of digitized historical material. Since all dates were 100% automatically identified, there may be errors, and many date references may refer to routine events. This is a work in progress, please contact University Archives with comments, questions, recommendations, etc. A total of 13 events are recorded for today.
Pick another date:
Submit an Event
Know of a major event that is not listed here? Please email University Archives with more details about the date and details of the event!
Matches from large statistical sources like the Board of Trustees Proceedings can generate thousands of results. These are currently hidden, but you can also view all matches.
- 1961: ...n plaque ftnref20 20 University of Illinois Archives, Building and Statue Dedication Programs: RS 2 0 808 - Illini Union 10 th anniversary ftnref21 21 Board of Trustees Proceedings, September 21, 1961 ftnref22 22 Courier - 5 12 1963 ftnref23 23 Courier - 8 27 61 ftnref24 24 "Union bowling alley receives facelift" - Daily Illini - 8 27 2004 ftnref25 25 http: www.vcsa.uiuc.edu onStaff ed.html ftnref... (Illini Union)
- 1966: ftn1 1 On September 21, 1966 ftn2 2 that resolution became a reality with the groundbreaking of the new Undergraduate Library, followed by its dedication three years later on November 15, 1969. Built around a 72 by 72 foot squar... (Undergraduate Library)
- 2000: ftn12 12 On September 21, 2000, the building was renamed Wohlers Hall in honor of Albert H. and Jane L. Wohlers, ftn13 13 who funded the nearly 6M renovation. ftn14 14 In the rededication proceedings, it was noted that the buildin... (Commerce West / Wohler's Hall)
Digital Library Matches
- 1866: Sept. 21 Notice published of an informal election to be held in Champaign county ou Oct. 10, by order of the board of Supervisors. The voters were to decide whether or not the county should appropriate 100,000.00 ... (Book - Early History of University (1916))
- 1874: 1874-fi Sept. 21 First issue of the University Reporter, a publication of four small pages. I t s purpose was ostensibly to arouse interest in Student Government and to advocate the establishment of a university press. I ... (Book - Early History of University (1916))
- 1897: Sept. 21 Board of Trustees decides to use old Military Hall as a gymnasium (Book - Early History of University (1916))
- 1909: Sept. 21 The Trustees appointed Harry' H . Stoek editor of Mines and Minerals professor of Mining Engineering in the University, in charge of the department (Book - Early History of University (1916))
- 1910: Sept. 21 A thousand freshmen attended the first convocation in the University Auditorium. President James welcomed them. Dean Thomas A. Clark and Mr. Ray Warnock, Assistant Dean, spoke briefly (Book - Early History of University (1916))
- 1937: uul ending September 21 1937. All uired to be pn nt during Freshman schedule the events oi Preshman I to in-w students, just before the im, but at the time the new student l t. tntei the University of Illinois, he ul LIpons arcn... (Book - First Year at University (1937))
- 1945: ...ly. Miss Libutski has an honorable discharge from the Women's Army Corps. Captain and Mrs. Louis J. Ogden, 711 Patteron, Austin 21, Texas announce the birth of Patricia Ann Ogden on September 21, 1945. Patricia has a sister, Margaret Elsie. Captain Ogden is with the United States Public Health Service. Mrs. Ogden is the former Gertrude Ackermann. Thelma F. Passo, formerly librarian of the Quarrie ... (UI Library School Alumni Newsletter - 37)
- 1974: ...ld and volleyball. A member of the volleyball team competed for the U.S. at the 1973 World University Games. Director of athletics is Walter G. Versen. CHIKAS FOOTBALL SCHEDULE FOR 1974: Sept. 21. . , At Grand Valley State College S e p t . 28. . , Eastern Illinois University 5. . , Oct. At Valparaiso University O c t . 12. . , At University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee O c t . 19. . . At Milton College... (Reference Folder - 1973)
- 2000: ...WOHLERS HALL n Dedication Ceremonies September 21, 2000 College of Commerce and Business Administration University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign ,e are grateful to the University of Illinois for many things but particularly for the far-ranging education... (Dedication - Wohlers Hall)
- 2000: On September 21,2000, in recognition of their lead gift, Commerce West is being renamed Wohlers Hall. Room 260 will be called the Judd D. Malkin Dean's Suite and Room 141 will be known as the Neil G. Bluhm Lecture Hall. ... (Dedication - Wohlers Hall)