|UIHistories Project: A History of the University of Illinois by Kalev Leetaru|
| || U I H I S T O R I E S P R O J E C T|
Today in the History of the University of IllinoisWelcome to the new "Today in the History of the University of Illinois" feature! This is an extremely experimental project to build a database of major events in the University's history, currently totaling more than 500,000. The current database below was compiled using software programs that identified all dates in the pages on this site and in its more than 70,000 pages of digitized historical material. Since all dates were 100% automatically identified, there may be errors, and many date references may refer to routine events. This is a work in progress, please contact University Archives with comments, questions, recommendations, etc. A total of 10 events are recorded for today.
Pick another date:
Submit an Event
Know of a major event that is not listed here? Please email University Archives with more details about the date and details of the event!
Matches from large statistical sources like the Board of Trustees Proceedings can generate thousands of results. These are currently hidden, but you can also view all matches.
- 1858: Brown, Oct. 18, 1858 ftn18 18 No man is good enough to govern another man without that others consent - Speech on the Repeal of the Missouri Compromise, October 16, 1854 ftn19 19 Free labor insists on universal education... (Lincoln Hall)
- 1924: ...ly installed. ftn8 8 Each of its 200 memorial columns carries the name of one of the 183 ftn9 9 students who gave his or her life in defense of the United States. ftn10 10 Finally, on October 18, 1924, ftn11 11 the stadium was formally dedicated, and the famous game against University of Michigan played. ftn12 12 The final cost of the building was 2,084,000. ftn13 13 In 1928 the 50,000 West Hall w... (Memorial Stadium)
- 2003: ...ion of 565 African American and Latino students, the first wave of equality to sweep across the campus landscape. http: uihistories.ncsa.uiuc.edu OLD studentlife racial.html ftn1 1 On October 18, 2003, Project 500, an oil painting commemorating the 35 th anniversary of Project 500 and the Special Educational Opportunities Program, was dedicated. The painting, by Billy Morrow Jackson, hangs on the ... (Racial Equality)
Digital Library Matches
- 1804: ...ions for the Sophomore reception 8 61 ,art toned, tint many a Frtahman is brought to rtaliat the sad troth that be ha not ytt made the acquaintance of his class-mates of t he Othtr Sta OCTOBER 18. To avoid an impending calamity, a class meeting informal Is held at an opportune time 7:15 r. . . Although this Is without a precedent, it ttrTte t v-'lathlen the hearts of many. OCTOBER 20. The boys blo... (Illio - 1896)
- 1877: Oct. 18 Inter-eollegiate contest at Monmouth, won by Knox, Northwestern second, Illinois Industrial University third (Book - Early History of University (1916))
- 1912: October 18 Sophomores won annual pushball contest in which members of both classes suffered many minor injuries (Book - Early History of University (1916))
- 1913: October 18 Prominent faculty men addressed Tau Beta P i , honorary engineering fraternity, a t opening meeting. Sack rush voted to succeed pushball, Oetober 21 Vahlen and Aaron German libraries purchased by Universi... (Book - Early History of University (1916))
- 1917: ...he American Federation of Labor 3. a as to free transportation b as to employment c as to representation 4. 5. The English program as outlined in the Whitley Reports of March 8, 1917, October 18, 1917, June 31, 1918, and July 12, 1918 The Rockefeller plan for representation a The Colorado Fuel and Iron Co. system b The Atlantic City Conference platform of December 5, 1918. G. Plans of the Federal ... (War Publications - WWI Compilation 1923 - Article 47)
- 1924: ...ial Stadium Fund, presided as Master of Ceremonies. The dedicatory address was made by President Kinley and the Stadium Ode was read by Lew Sarett, '16. On the following day, Saturday, October 18, the Stadium was dedicated for its utilitarian purpose by that never-to-be-forgotten victory over the University of Michigan football team, with a score of 39 to 14, in the presence of 68,000 people. The ... (Book - Overview of University of Illinois for Chicago Alumni (1926))
- 1929: ...THE UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS T H E DEDICATION OF THE LIBRARY BUILDING RECITAL HALL SMITH MEMORIAL MUSIC BUILDING 2 : 3 0 P.M., FRIDAY, OCTOBER 18, 1929 URBANA MP ff WtOT ,PROGRAM President DAVID KINLEY, Presiding Invocation The Reverend STEPHEN E. FISHER University Place Christian Church, Champaign Presentation of Building Professor JAMES M. Accepta... (Dedication - Library)