|UIHistories Project: A History of the University of Illinois by Kalev Leetaru|
| || U I H I S T O R I E S P R O J E C T|
Today in the History of the University of IllinoisWelcome to the new "Today in the History of the University of Illinois" feature! This is an extremely experimental project to build a database of major events in the University's history, currently totaling more than 500,000. The current database below was compiled using software programs that identified all dates in the pages on this site and in its more than 70,000 pages of digitized historical material. Since all dates were 100% automatically identified, there may be errors, and many date references may refer to routine events. This is a work in progress, please contact University Archives with comments, questions, recommendations, etc. A total of 16 events are recorded for today.
Pick another date:
Submit an Event
Know of a major event that is not listed here? Please email University Archives with more details about the date and details of the event!
Matches from large statistical sources like the Board of Trustees Proceedings can generate thousands of results. These are currently hidden, but you can also view all matches.
- 1920: Thus, on March 23, 1920, the Watt Centenary and the College of Engineering Open House was celebrated. Dean of Engineering Charles Russ Richards gave the opening remarks, followed by a memorial address by Paige Breckenridge,... (Electrical Show / The Spawning of Engineering Open House)
- 1956: ...us nationally-renowned figures who usually take up residence in the Hall for up to a week and interact with students on a more intimate basis than otherwise possible. ftn18 18 ftnref1 1 March 23, 1956 ftnref2 2 Lincoln Avenue Residence and Allen Residence - January 31, 1958 ftnref3 3 Lincoln Avenue Residence and Allen Residence - January 31, 1958 ftnref4 4 Note that Board of Trustees Proceedings, ... (Lincoln Avenue Residence Addition / Louisa Catherine Allen Hall)
- 1956: ...coln Avenue Residence and Allen Residence - January 31, 1958 ftnref3 3 Lincoln Avenue Residence and Allen Residence - January 31, 1958 ftnref4 4 Note that Board of Trustees Proceedings, March 23, 1956 give the size as 636 women ftnref5 5 Lincoln Avenue Residence and Allen Residence - January 31, 1958 ftnref6 6 Illinois Alumni News March 1958 states that it had "opened for occupancy this semester" ... (Lincoln Avenue Residence Addition / Louisa Catherine Allen Hall)
Digital Library Matches
- 1875: March 23d, 1875. DEAR DR. GREGORY: To-day I most cheerfully signed a statement commending to the public the Industrial University over which you have the honor to preside. Haviug visited the Institution and examined... (Course Catalog - 1874-1875)
- 1880: t Resigned March 23, 1880. Relieved March 7. ,OFFICERS AND INSTR UCTORS. CHARLES E. PICKARD, B. A., Assistant in English and Ancient Languages. EDWIN L. LAWRENCE, Head Farmer. EDWIN E. KIMBALL, Foreman of Machine Shop. GEORGE... (Course Catalog - 1879-1880)
- 1884: ... FOR LIVING 5 0 YEAR PLAN Honorable Florence Ellenwood Allen Judge Florence Ellenwood Allen, the only woman in the world ever to sit in a federal court of general jurisdiction, was born March 23, 1884, at Salt Lake City, Utah. She was educated at Salt Lake Academy and New Lyme Institute, Ashland, Ohio She received her master's degree in political science and constitutional law from Western Reserve... (Dedication - Home Economics - Challenge of Home Economics)
- 1887: ...mber 22 WINTER VACATION. FOR 1887. Examination for Admission to Advanced Classes, Tuesday, January 4 Opening of the Second or Winter Term Wednesday, January 5 Second Term ends Wednesday, March 23 Third or Spring Term begins Thursday, March 24 Baccalaureate Address in University Chapel Sunday, June 5 Class Day Monday, June 6 Alumni Day Tuesday, June 7 Commencement Wednesday, June 8 SUMMER VACATION.... (Course Catalog - 1885-1886)
- 1892: March 23, Wednesday Term ends. SPRING TERM 1892. Instruction begins. Latest day for presenting Conklin Orations. I Latest day for presenting Commencement Theses I and Orations. Senior Examinations begin. Hazleton ... (Course Catalog - 1890-1891)
- 1893: J March 23, Thursday. Instruction begins. Latest day for presenting Conklin Oration (Course Catalog - 1891-1892)
- 1896: March 23, Monday. Term Examinations begin (Course Catalog - 1894-1895)
- 1898: March 23, Wednesday. Entrance Examinations. Registration Day. Instruction begins. Prize Debate. Term Examinations begin. Term ends. SPRING TERM, 1898 March 29, Tuesday (Course Catalog - 1896-1897)
- 1907: March 23 Mr. Rudolph Leypoldt 1 of Hartford, Connecticut, lectured before the Library School (Book - Early History of University (1916))
- 1911: March 23 President Frank L. McVey of the University of North Dakota gave an address on Sticking Points in Taxation (Book - Early History of University (1916))
- 1914: March 23 Thomas Orchestra concert (Book - Early History of University (1916))
- 1917: On March 23, 1917, the Board of Trustees on the recommendation of President James set aside sufficient money to print the desired blanks, mail them to all students and alumni and make the nece ary permanent records. O... (Booklet - UI Response to WWI (1917))
- 1920: ...UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS CONVOCATION THE WATT CENTENARY AND THE COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING OPEN HOUSE MARCH 23, 1920 ". - ' ,,Inscription on the monument to James Watt in Westminister Abbey, London NOT TO PERPETUATE A NAME WHICH MUST ENDURE WHILE THE PEACEFUL ARTS FLOURISH, BUT TO SHEW THAT MANKIND HAVE LEARNT TO H... (EOH - Watt Centennial EOH 1920)