|UIHistories Project: A History of the University of Illinois by Kalev Leetaru|
| || U I H I S T O R I E S P R O J E C T|
Today in the History of the University of IllinoisWelcome to the new "Today in the History of the University of Illinois" feature! This is an extremely experimental project to build a database of major events in the University's history, currently totaling more than 500,000. The current database below was compiled using software programs that identified all dates in the pages on this site and in its more than 70,000 pages of digitized historical material. Since all dates were 100% automatically identified, there may be errors, and many date references may refer to routine events. This is a work in progress, please contact University Archives with comments, questions, recommendations, etc. A total of 12 events are recorded for today.
Pick another date:
Submit an Event
Know of a major event that is not listed here? Please email University Archives with more details about the date and details of the event!
Matches from large statistical sources like the Board of Trustees Proceedings can generate thousands of results. These are currently hidden, but you can also view all matches.
Digital Library Matches
- 1858: MARCH 17, 1858. Referred to the Committee on Public Lands, and ordered to be printed. MEMORIAL TO CONGRESS FOR A GRANT OF LAND FOR THE SUPPORT OF AGRICULTURAL COLLEGES AND SCIENTIFIC AGRICULTURE, To the Senate and ... (Book - History of the University (Powell))
- 1869: ...College . . . Mch. Un. Mch. 22, 1870 Sept. 7, 1891 Mch. 1878 9, 1890 Ohio State University 7 . . . . 1 Georgia State College of Agriculture. 22, 1870 2 School opened in 1859, college on March 17, 1869. 3 Bluemont Central College opened in May, 1860. 4 Massachusetts maintains one state Agricultural college and aids the Mass. Institute of Technology, a private foundation, Harvard University also a p... (Book - History of the University (Powell))
- 1874: ... let thy blessings downpour; May his pupils increase, may he freeze out Lew Moore. , A ,TO THE MEMORY . . OF . . OUR BELOVED CLASSMATE CHARLES GERRISH BENNETT Born in Mattoon, Illinois, March 17, 1874. Entered the University of Illinois, September 16, 1891 Died at His Home, November 10, 189a. No hauty gesture marked his gait, No pompous tone his word, No studied attitude was seen, No palling- nons... (Illio - 1895)
- 1883: On March 17, 1883, the Board of Directors met to elect a permanent Faculty according to a resolution adopted, the basis of the election requiring that the following Four questions should be answered in the affirmative... (Book - History of University of Illinois at Chicago (1921))
- 1897: March 17 Gymnasium moved from Military Hall to top floor of Wood Shops (Book - Early History of University (1916))
- 1899: March 17, Friday (Course Catalog - 1897-1898)
- 1912: March 17 St. P a t r i c k ' s Day banquet of Irish Brotherhood (Book - Early History of University (1916))
- 1913: March 17 Constitution adopted by " I " men as organization (Book - Early History of University (1916))
- 1924: ...nsfer the care and control of the Forestry from the department of Horticulture to the department of Buildings and Grounds so that it might be merged into a park. At the Board meeting of March 17, 1924, Mrs Blake, then chairman of the Committee on Horticultural Planting, recommended that the forestry tract shall now be treated as a decorative grouping of trees, that some trees be thinned out,allowi... (Book - 30 Year Master Plan (Tilton & O'Donnell))
- 1925: ...r is a junior in the University and Bill is a junior in High School; she says that while they sing "On Wisconsin," she is still "Loyal to you Illinois." Mary Gillen, '23-'24, was married March 17th in St. Patrick's Cathedral, New York, to Mr. Joseph Henley of Kecwatin, Minn. The are spending their honeymoon in Europe. Amelia Krieg, '20, is Head Cataloger at the University of Iowa, Iowa City. Bess ... (UI Library School Alumni Newsletter - 7)
- 1926: ...ing, and was later approved by the Board. On June 7, 1926, the Supervising Architect sent a letter to President Kinley, stating that: ,TPo History of Campus Plan Dean Ketchum's report of March 17 on their building needs suggests that the Materials Testing and Hydraulics laboratory be located east of the present College of Engineering buildings fronting on Green Street. If the building of new build... (Book - 30 Year Master Plan (Tilton & O'Donnell))
- 1977: ...rking for university housing west court The tennis courts were resurfaced and improved in summer 1986. The next major facility constructed was the Kiwanis soccer field. At its meeting on March 17,1977, the Board of Regents approved the university's request to initiate the construction of a soccer stadium. The local Kiwanis club pledged the cost of bleachers to accommodate 2,500 spectators about 40... (UIS History 1969-1995 (Sangamon State Univ))