Illini Hall, built in 1907 as the University YMCA to house 88 male students,  featured 38,100 square feet in 1939 when the University purchased it for $99,000.  In 1919 the building became the new Student Union, the precursor of the 1941 Illini Union.  By 1950 the building was the home of The Daily Illini, The Illio, a speech research program, and the Division of University Extension. 
By the late 1960's the northern section of the building was in a state of disrepair and campus planners recommended razing it and remodeling the southern section of the building.  However, the building survived intact, and in 1978 the third floor was remodeled for $70,400 to house the offices of the Police Training Institute.